Thursday 8 February 2007

Day 4 - Feathers & Twirls - To pair or not pair ?

Again, facing the same dilemma as yesterday in terms of the representation and placing of a particular motif. i.e in this case should the four pairs of feathered twirls appear drawn in their pair or as 8 separate individuals ?
I begin to realise to remain true to my original idea I must be guided by my decision to make a purely visual list. This is not about the relationship of one piece of pattern to another, as it is in the overall original design of the plate, but is about taking an iconic design and breaking it down into its component parts, so that these parts do, indeed, become larger than the whole. And, thus, something highly recognisable will become unrecognisable in its new form.
A working title might be: A visual list of the marks, motifs and patterns that combine to form a Willow Pattern plate [ a bit dry !] My aim: Deconstucting its iconic order; the ordered pattern of trees, houses, people, bridges into a
ordered series of abstract patterns. Here is a picture of the studio with the beginnings of my drawing:

Had a very exciting thought - I love maps, I love their initial mystery, their potential for answers.
a. This drawing is a type of map
b. Maps have keys. i.e a word or description that describes, in this case, a particular motif, mark or pattern. Here is mine:

Very excited.
3.30pm Sunny but cold, walking up to St. Michael's Hospice to visit Dorothy.

No comments: